Saturday, July 6, 2013

Trifecta

Whaddup Ladies and Gents,
Hope everyone had a good fourth. Nothing represents America more than a couple beers, friends, and of course, fishing. I had the pleasure to bounce around this week, with a South Carolina vacation coming to an end, as well as plenty of time to bounce around Ohio searching for some great fishing opportunities. Let us begin with SC...
Remember those sharks we were catching off the beach? Well we took it to the next level and took out a private charter known as the Izzy A, and felt the need to slam some bigger fish out of Harbor Town in Hilton Head. Once again the target was sharks, and as we trolled shrimp boats who were basically chumming the water for free, Jaws was in sight. Dolphins splashed the surface, seagulls dove from above, and somewhere beneath the murky depths of the Atlantic, sat a predator trailing the bait eating more than Joey Chestnut on Independence Day. (Sorry for the bad pic there Joey). Like I said before, although I'm mainly a fly fisher, I gotta throw in all fishing experiences, so for this adventure we were using heavy spin caster rods and throwing live baitfish as our boat drifted with the current. Time passed then we heard it. The absolute best noise in the world (besides a perfect swish in basketball, or the sound of someone mixing mac and cheese), the spool was getting stripped. Line flew out and a fish was on. Blah blah blah, this is going to be a long post anyone so lets get to the good stuff. After several runs of the monster shark, I final brought the sucker in, and currently is the largest fish I've caught, coming in around 70 pounds. Don't judge:


 Fish #2:
After dropping sharks, I had to go back to my roots, which was fly fishing for LMB back in lovely Ohio. Boy did I miss it, swinging boogers by sunken trees, or stripping a popper on the edge of a lilly pad cluster. So I ended up at a pond located near the Big Darby Creek somewhat close to the Dublin area. Beautiful pond with algae, rocks, a spill well, just about everything. My fly of choice for bass is simply a brown wooly bugger. Never failed me, for quality or quantity. So I start throwing it and instantly get a hit, and bass #1 comes in. I quickly realize that this pond seems to be fished very little so I took full advantage, and within an hour I've got 20 bass to my name. Legitimately almost every cast resulted in a strike and 95% of the time, a landed fish. Not trying to be cocky but I almost got bored with it. Ha, who am I kidding, it was freaking insane. Here's one of my favorite catches as I tossed the brown wooly right next to where a trib entered the pond, and stripped it next to a patch of lilly pads, resulting in this bad boy:
Camo shorts anyone?

Last but not least I have to post about a buddy, Jared Sylvester who caught a beauty at Mad River the other day. Water levels were high and a bit murky so he went with a black wooly and was stripping it about two feet off the bank through some of the deeper holes. The Mad is always a tough place to fish, and with the recent rains and high water levels it has continued to stay tricky. I've never had incredible luck at the Mad, catching 5 fish there in my "career" or whatever the hell you wanna call it. But what I would do to land a fish like this....
                                              A beautiful Brown caught near the 36 bridge. 

Well, three awesome fish in three completely different locations. Three species, three fishing techniques. Let the fun continue. Trifecta.

-If you are in the Ohio area and are interested in the Mad, make sure to hit up the fishing report:
http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/t-fishing-reports.aspx

Tight Lines,
CL


No comments:

Post a Comment