Monday, July 22, 2013

MW FLY

Been a while since the last Life On The Fly post...
...and as much as I love the name LOTF, I googled it and saw about fifty other fly fishing websites and blogs, so I went a little more basic, lacking more creativity than a 2Chains rap verse, and thought MidWest Fly fit nicely. I'm drawing some BS logo as we speak, but I don't know, LOTF seemed more sought after than a case of budweiser at a West Virginia family reunion. So, MW FLY it is..for now...

Another week in South Carolina resulted in some more insane catches. For family and friends, it was a busy week on the water. Start out with a buddy of mine, and Georgetown football star Gary Powers who was able to snag this 18 pound lake trout up in Lake Erie...
The gleam shots continued as my father, Derrick Layer, better known as D-Rock, was able to snag a 6 lb, 24 inch Red off the shore of Isle of Palms, South Carolina. Located just 20 minutes outside of downtown Charleston, the areas canals and marshes are known for their redfish, and off a chunk of cut mullet, D-Rock was able to connect with this beauty:
(Stud^)

The catch of the week also belongs to the gimp monster known as my father (Torn Achilles and possible torn meniscus), who was able to reel in a 40 lb ray also off a chunk of cut mullet. As tempting as it was to get a lovely shot with the prehistoric monster, D rock bailed and cut the line, but we were able to catch a pic of this badass creature head-on...enjoy...

Three more crazy catches, none by the writer himself. So to redeem myself I'll throw in a picture from earlier this summer that was actually caught on a fly rod. Using a crayfish pattern and stripping it through the treacherous depths of Marble Cliff Crossing, (a wealthy closed off community located about a mile south of me, which I've been kicked out of many times for my homeless looking exterior), I was able to land a beautiful 4 lb LM. Although I've caught a handful of these this size in this area, one (or two) pics should redeem my embarrassing saltwater performance in which I only landed a couple 16 inch sand sharks and this lady fish:

(sweet bedhead, I know)

But now for the LMB I've bragged about:


If you like to fish, just go do it. There's no better way to just relax and enjoy all that nature has to offer than to just go out and toss a line. This week I'm planning on going to the Mad. With some serious rains this past weekend, my Sunday morning plans to hunt trout simply didn't work out, but with the rain should come plenty of opportunities to catch some fish. Terrestrials are hitting in the late afternoons, especially Japanese beetles and foam ants. Stock up on a couple of these and go snag a Brown...Till next cast...
MW FLY.
Tight Lines,
-Cam

No comments:

Post a Comment