Monday, August 5, 2013

On A Serious Note...

Let's take a pretty laid back blog full of cheap laughs and low quality pictures and spice it up a bit...
On A Serious Note...

Fishing has always been an escape for me, and as "emo" or sketchy as that may sound, I always know I can turn to my gilled friends to cheer up a brother in need. Whenever my mind is racing or I'm simply stressed after a day of your typical D3 activities, (typical to any other person just with a few extra bicep curls), I find nothing more enjoyable than walking through the thick brush until you reach an opening with nothing but a beautiful, clearwater creek just feet away.
Fishing has always been a past time. And the more I think about it the harder it is to define the act of fishing. Some people consider it a sport, but does that make Kevin Van Dam an athlete? F***, no. Other people say its a hobby, or something to do to kill time, but to be honest it's much more than that. It's a pastime, an everlasting memory. Growing up in a family who isn't big on skiing or hunting, but rather one who spent most vacations hitting up Hilton Head and rockin the frizz on the beach, something that was always accessible was fishing. With a Grandfather who use to live in Naples with his other retired friends, catching big Kingfish and Grouper was nothing out of the norm. I was lucky enough to take some of the skills I learned here in beautiful Ohio and take those talents down to South Beach (Suck It Lebron). But where did I get some of those self proclaimed talents? Well, I had plenty of time casting lines and getting skunked at the Scioto at an early age. I hit up ponds in Hilliard and Dublin. Hell I use to cast in my backyard and try to catch my dog...(RIP Sadie). Fishing has just always been a ridiculously huge part of my life. Fishing with my Dad and brother was always the thing I looked forward to most on the weekend, and even a thirty minute drive to some legendary pond was always worth the early wake ups. Not only for the huge bass and bitchy little bluegill, but for the whole experience in general. Talkin football on the way there, grabbin a sub on the way home. It was perfect. It could've been raining and cold, or blistering hot, but either way it was worth it. Helping load up the car and stopping at the nearby Speedway to grab a pack of red trout worms was the morning routine and I simply never got sick of it. Some of my fondest childhood memories came with my hand on the reel, unhooking 6 inch bluegill and watching my dad lose bobber after bobber in the weeds. I always give that dude grief. But I also have to thank him for all the money spent on gas and the countless hours of him untangling my line before I began to kick his ass on the water. Now our trips are full of trash talking, but with no less love than when I was 5 years old. As I continue my life at Denison University, every so often I find the time to meet up with the former LOTF legend D Rock over at Raccoon Creek and as we talk about how practice went and think about what we should order at good ole' Brew's Pub, a smile can't help but shine across my face.
(Hometurf: Raccoon Creek)

So what is fishing? A sport? Sure. A hobby? Why not. A Time Killer? Most definitely. But to me? It's just a damn good time with the people you care about.
Tight Lines,
-Cam

Odds I get shit from my brother about this somewhat corny post are pretty high, so Brad...
Touche....

1 comment: