Saturday, June 8, 2013

Virgin Blogger

Hello Fishing World,
As tempted as I am to express my personal interests on a site like eHarmony, I felt the need to bring my talents elsewhere, and by talents I'm simply referring to my obsession of rambling on about fishing experiences I've had. Now I don't know if more than ten people will ever stumble upon this blog, but for those that do, you're in for something special. I'm kidding. I'm a biology major who plays football at a D3 college, and with that information right there you all should be expecting some subpar writing skills and grammatical mishaps, but nonetheless you'll hear a whole lot about fishing.
I've been raised to fish. For as long as I can remember my father has brought me to local ponds around Columbus, Ohio in places like Hilliard and Dublin, and I even managed to toss a line in the Scioto River every now and then. However, as I grew older, the simple worm and bobber technique catching nothing but fist sized bluegill with the occasional LM Bass simply wore me out. I kid you not, I took a year off, not touching a rod or reel for 365 days, and spent the weekend mornings sleeping in instead of fishing with the fam. Something had to change.
I was in fourth grade, which was a great year for me. Learned to write cursive and absolutely dominated in gym kickball. I had learned to go off the high dive and managed to get myself some lovely looking braces. Spring came around and during a rough once-a-week lacrosse practice schedule with a grueling half hour game every Saturday, my body desperately needed a vacation. My Dad, a general contractor, managed to score our family a little weekend getaway at the Nemacolin Resort from one of his suppliers. A beautiful resort in the mountains of Pennsylvania, surrounded by crystal clear streams and creeks, it was a fly fisher's paradise. Wait, fly fishing? Now I've heard of sixty year old men belonging to trout clubs and seen pictures of guides in Wyoming, but as a suburban boy who's known nothing but night crawlers and Zebco's, the whole topic was very unfamiliar. As a treat, we were capable of scheduling a half day fly fishing guide in the Laurel Highlands. As I suited up my waders and scurried through the crystal clear stream, I was at peace. Not that a fourth grader has a whole let to stress about, but this just felt right. With an Orvis 6 wt, 9' pole in my hand, although odd at first, I was ready to experience a whole new type of fishing. As the guide instructed my brother and I on how to roll cast, I simply fell in love. With such an elegant casting motion, with both finesse and patience, fly fishing was the way to go. I was hooked, no pun intended, and from there a new journey began. This is Life On the Fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment